Classical guitarist to show off another side
January 17, 2013
The Nevada County Composers Cooperative presents its winter 2013 event, Meet the Composer, featuring Louis Valentine Johnson, at 7:30 p.m. Friday.
Johnson has performed extensively as a classical guitarist for many years. Friday, patrons will get the opportunity to experience Johnson as a composer. He will present a recently completed composition titled "The Peace Concerto" for solo guitar, which is dedicated to his son, Alex Johnson, and grandson, Alex Johnson Jr. The movements are titled, "Portraits," "Song of Peace" and "The Question." He will also play and discuss some of his other compositions. In an interview setting with fellow composer Jerry Grant, they will explore his process of creativity with an interactive audience.
Johnson has performed as a soloist in the U.S., Argentina, Ecuador, Chile, Mexico, Norway, Denmark, Spain and Canada, as well as San Francisco, Seattle, Pullman, Chico, Sacramento and Fairfield, and has five solo guitar CDs on the Dos Almas label, plus two compilations with the Sacramento Classical Guitar Society: "September Eleventh" and "All We Have to Offer."
He has toured and performed with Alexander L. Johnson, violist Eleanor Angel as The Alma Duo and with Jose Luis Merlin and many others. His fourth CD, "Goodbye to Mexico," received funding from Meet the Composer Inc. and was supported by the National Endowment for the Arts, ASCAP and the Virgil Thomson Foundation. It features many of his solo guitar compositions in "American Reflections."
The Nevada County Composers Cooperative mission is to present its own work as well as the work of both local and regional Northern California contemporary composers.
The Meet The Composer series is presented in an intimate salon setting at the Nevada City Winery, located at 321 Spring St. in Nevada City. The event begins at 7:30 p.m. Friday. Admission is $25 for adults and $5 for students, which includes wine and hors d' oeuvres. Seating is limited, and reservations are a must by calling (530) 478-0983.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Patti Bess: ‘A little patch of paradise’ at Sweet Roots Farm in Grass Valley
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- Denis Peirce: That’s how we troll — on Lake Almanor
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Nevada County donor pledges to match contributions to Hospitality House
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance