Classical guitarist to show off another side
January 17, 2013
The Nevada County Composers Cooperative presents its winter 2013 event, Meet the Composer, featuring Louis Valentine Johnson, at 7:30 p.m. Friday.
Johnson has performed extensively as a classical guitarist for many years. Friday, patrons will get the opportunity to experience Johnson as a composer. He will present a recently completed composition titled "The Peace Concerto" for solo guitar, which is dedicated to his son, Alex Johnson, and grandson, Alex Johnson Jr. The movements are titled, "Portraits," "Song of Peace" and "The Question." He will also play and discuss some of his other compositions. In an interview setting with fellow composer Jerry Grant, they will explore his process of creativity with an interactive audience.
Johnson has performed as a soloist in the U.S., Argentina, Ecuador, Chile, Mexico, Norway, Denmark, Spain and Canada, as well as San Francisco, Seattle, Pullman, Chico, Sacramento and Fairfield, and has five solo guitar CDs on the Dos Almas label, plus two compilations with the Sacramento Classical Guitar Society: "September Eleventh" and "All We Have to Offer."
He has toured and performed with Alexander L. Johnson, violist Eleanor Angel as The Alma Duo and with Jose Luis Merlin and many others. His fourth CD, "Goodbye to Mexico," received funding from Meet the Composer Inc. and was supported by the National Endowment for the Arts, ASCAP and the Virgil Thomson Foundation. It features many of his solo guitar compositions in "American Reflections."
The Nevada County Composers Cooperative mission is to present its own work as well as the work of both local and regional Northern California contemporary composers.
The Meet The Composer series is presented in an intimate salon setting at the Nevada City Winery, located at 321 Spring St. in Nevada City. The event begins at 7:30 p.m. Friday. Admission is $25 for adults and $5 for students, which includes wine and hors d' oeuvres. Seating is limited, and reservations are a must by calling (530) 478-0983.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Activities and Events
- ’80s stalwarts The Psychedelic Furs coming to Grass Valley in July
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- NCTV Talk: Thru the Lens gala set for Del Oro Theatre
- Summer movies for kids begins June 14 at Del Oro Theatre in Grass Valley
- Bow-Tie Beauties Uncensored: Burlesque show at Miners Foundry
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Crews gain control of Grizzly Fire as dry, hot conditions continue in Nevada County