CATS big winner at 2013 Elly Awards
September 23, 2013
Western Nevada County's community theater community fared well at Sunday evening's 31st annual Elly Awards in Sacramento, with local groups receiving a quarter of the total accolades.
Eight Ellys were awarded to local companies including Community Asian Theatre of the Sierra, Synthetic Unlimited, Sierra Stages and Quest Theaterworks. At Sunday's presentation, hosted by the Sacramento Area Regional Theatre Alliance, a total of 34 awards were given to individuals and companies from across a 10-county region.
CATS took home five awards for "Journey to the West," including overall production for a comedy.
Only one other production — "Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" by the Stockton Civic Theatre — took home more awards for a single production.
CATS also received Elly awards for "Journey to the West's" Set and Costume Design, both by Teresa Shea, Direction of a Comedy for Diane Fetterly, and Sound Design by Tynowyn Woolman.
Synthetic Unlimited earned two Elly's. Grace Fae got the nod for Leading Actress in a Drama for her performance in "Kingdom of the Earth." The other Elly went to Belle Star, Sovahn LeBlanc and Vivien Flint for Costume Design on "Antony and Cleopatra."
Lois Ewing, of Quest Theaterworks, earned a Supporting Actress in a Comedy Elly for her role in "Sealed for Freshness," and Erin Beatie, of Sierra Stages, received one for Lighting Design of "A Midsummer Night's Dream."
Ellys were handed out in Comedy, Drama, Musical and Original Works. The Elly Awards program serves community theatres within a 70-mile radius from downtown Sacramento, according to SARTA.
For more information about SARTA visit http://www.sarta.com. SARTA is a nonprofit.
Features Editor Brett Bentley can be contacted at email@example.com.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Patti Bess: ‘A little patch of paradise’ at Sweet Roots Farm in Grass Valley
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- Rethinking the lawn
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed