Catch Helen Mirren on stage in ‘The Audience’ this week
June 18, 2013
know & go:
WHAT: National Theatre Live – “The Audience”
WHEN: 7:15 p.m. Thursday, June 13, and 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, June 19
WHERE: Sierra Cinemas, 840-C East Main Street at the corner of Hughes Road, Grass Valley
TICKETS: $18 adults, $15 senior/child/student, available at the Sierra Cinemas Box Office and online at sierratheaters.com
National Theatre Live returns to movie screens this week, as Helen Mirren reprises her Academy Award-winning role as Queen Elizabeth II in the highly anticipated West End production of "The Audience," broadcast around the world and in Grass Valley. "The Audience" will show at Sierra Cinemas at 7:15 p.m. Thursday (June 13) and again at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday.
For 60 years, Elizabeth II has met each of her 12 Prime Ministers in a weekly audience at Buckingham Palace — a meeting like no other in British public life — it is private. Both parties have an unspoken agreement never to repeat what is said. Not even to their spouses.
"The Audience" breaks this contract of silence — and imagines a series of pivotal meetings between the Downing Street incumbents and their queen. From Churchill to Cameron, each Prime Minister has used these private conversations as a sounding board and a confessional — sometimes intimate, sometimes explosive.
From young mother to grandmother, these private audiences chart the arc of the second Elizabethan Age. Politicians come and go through the revolving door of electoral politics, while she remains constant, waiting to welcome her next Prime Minister.
"The Audience" reunites writer Peter Morgan and Academy Award-winning actress Helen Mirren following their collaboration on the critically acclaimed movie sensation "The Queen."
"The Audience" is directed by Academy Award-nominated director Stephen Daldry ("Billy Elliot," "The Hours") and presented in the West End by Matthew Byam Shaw for Playful Productions, Robert Fox and Andy Harries.
"The Audience" runs approximately three hours including intermission. Tickets are $18 for adults, $15 for seniors, children and students.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- Patti Bess: ‘A little patch of paradise’ at Sweet Roots Farm in Grass Valley
- Rethinking the lawn
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Nevada County banker stepping away after half century in the business
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum