Burlesque beauties present ‘Rocky Horror’
October 21, 2012
Step out for an interactive screening of the classic film "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" with the Bow-Tie Beauties Burlesque leading the fun on and off the stage. If you've ever been to a late-night screening of the film, you've experienced the fun of being part of a crowd participating in the action on screen. The Bow-Tie Beauties will take the concept to the next level with choreographed dancing — on and off stage — and maybe a few surprises. Sit close to be part of the action. Stay for a DJ dance following the film.
Still in limited release nearly 37 years after its premiere, "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" — featuring Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon and Barry Bostwick — has the longest-running theatrical release in film history. In 2005, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant."
Based in the Sierra foothills, Bow-Tie Beauties Burlesque Troupe is a performance group of strong women and men with a variety of performance backgrounds. They present a blend of dance, circus,and comedy with a sensual slant. Their Burlesque Circus Side Show in Nevada City last year was a huge hit, leading to a steady stream of performances, including shows at the DNA Lounge in San Francisco.
"Our Troupe's goal is to bring back and share the art form that is burlesque. We strive to entertain and support our local communities while wearing high heels," founder/dancer/choreographer Marissa Hernandez said.
Begun over a bottle of champagne in a hotel room in San Francisco, the Bow-Tie Beauties are the brain child of Hernandez, Haven Caravelli and Brianna Cohn. With a little help from their friends, the troupe has exploded into a group of outrageously sultry women and men who will be in full costume to enhance the Rocky Horror Picture Show experience.
Participants who come in costume will receive member price on their tickets.
Every Monday, BBB holds an open Burlesque class at Grass Valley's Sierra Dance Institute where those over the age of 18 may come and show off their sass and savvy, wear as little as possible,and leave the real world behind — at least for an hour.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Patti Bess: ‘A little patch of paradise’ at Sweet Roots Farm in Grass Valley
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Sierra Master Chorale and Orchestra spring concerts orchestrated to ‘lift, renew’ spirits
- Sierra Cinemas presents NT Live Edward Albee’s ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?’
- Comedian Kathy Griffin coming to Grass Valley in June
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier