Black cats are best! Adopt one Saturday
November 20, 2012
Saturday is National Black Cat Day and Sammie's Friends will be adopting out their black cats for $17. You might ask, "Why would there be a special day for black cats?"
Research has shown that black cats spend more time in shelters and are not as easily adopted. Some theories are that inside a kennel they don't show up as well and it is hard to see them.
When making posters and when putting them on websites, they do not show up as well in photos; therefore, the pictures aren't as compelling.
There is also the long held superstitions that they are evil or mysterious or are involved in witchcraft or other crazy ideas.
Research has shown that in general black cats have the nicest personalities of all cats.
People adopt animals for how they look and return them for how they behave. Personality may be the most important feature when picking out a pet that will fit in your home.
Remember that and adopt a black cat.
Some people think all black cats look alike. I can tell you, from running an animal shelter, that they all look distinct from one another if you pay attention to them.
Please come out and adopt Arzo, Popeye, Tylor, Larry, Neiko, Hubert, Wally, Freddy and lots more.
ODE TO BLACK CATS
The sun sits in Scorpio – a mysterious sign
Which like us black cats is often maligned
Witches and broomsticks and crossing your path
No one adopts us for fear of this wrath
Alluring, intense and loving are we
In Japan good luck we are thought to be
Don't believe all the slander you're surely to hear
Just help end this web of falsely spun fear!
Arzo, Popeye, Tylor and Larry—
"Come see us on Saturday, we're really not scary!"
Neiko, Hubert, Wally and Freddy
On National Black Cat Day – will be oh so ready
Cheryl Wicks is the executive director of Sammie Friends. Contact the nonprofit animal organization at http://www.sammiesfriends.org or meet the black cats at 14647 McCourtney Road in Grass Valley.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- For the love of animals: Find compassion in action at Animal Film Festival
- Commentary: Cars and coffee: a spontaneous showing of cars
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Swan Central: Sacramento Valley rice fields offer best winter waterfowl viewing in state
- 3rd annual Animal Film Festival comes to Grass Valley Saturday
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Grass Valley police charge couple with torture, kidnapping
- Nevada County Public Health Department receives reports of mumps
- Nevada County child sex suspect scheduled to return to court next week
- THE UNION NOW: Live streaming from the newsroom