Bent Metal Winery hosts toy drive
December 13, 2012
Bent Metal hosts toy drive
The third annual Bent Metal Winery Toy Drive begins this weekend and runs through Dec. 16.
In support the community, Bent Metal will accept donations of unwrapped toys from noon to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday and again Dec. 15 and 16. The toys will be given to Women of Worth to benefit local women and children.
Those who donated will receive a discount on wines — 10 percent off a bottle, 20 percent off a case. Wine club members will receive 25 percent off bottles and 30 percent off a case.
The winery's goal is to double last year's donations. Bring an unwrapped toy by the winery on McCourtney Road, taste local wines, enjoy "lite bites," and hot spiced wine.
Bent Metal Winery is located at 14364 McCourtney Rd. in Grass Valley.
Gingerbread House competition a success
A successful canned food drive, more than 100 vendors, and 55 gingerbread houses built made the 28th Annual Country Christmas Faire at the Nevada County Fairgrounds a success.
The 10th Annual Gingerbread House Competition was once again a crowd favorite, with 55 entries received. Of those entries, the Best of Show winner was Wanda Dunn of Penn Valley, and the People's Choice Award went to Kathy Kinney of Penn Valley. The Best of Show is chosen by the judges, and the People's Choice is selected through ballots cast by individuals who attend the Craft Faire.
With the help of HOPE (Help Other People Eat) in Nevada County, Sunday's canned food drive collected more than 480 pounds of non-perishable canned food, which is enough to feed 20 families for a month. These donations will be used at the organization's December 15 food distribution. HOPE distributes food on the third Saturday of every month to anyone in the county in need of food and emergency food.
The names of all the Gingerbread House Competition winners can be found on the Fairgrounds' website at http://www.NevadaCountyFair.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Activities and Events
- SummerFest: Six Music in the Mountains concerts offer range of venues, styles
- Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice: Movies Under the Pines brings back classic comedy
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Rough and Ready Secession Days Chili Cook-off set for June 25
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- 2 men accused of having exploding devices in western Nevada County
- Heat wave comes to Nevada County with the first day of summer (Video)
- Nevada, Placer county rivers claim 2 lives over the weekend
- Mindy Oberne: The real deal on SB 562, the single-payer legislation
- Placer County authorities release ID of victim in fatal Friday wreck