Artist reception today for Ron Kenedi
August 2, 2014
New works of art in oil on linen and canvas by artist Ron Kenedi are now on exhibit at the Center for the Arts in Grass Valley. There will be an opening reception from 4 to 7 p.m. today.
The new works recognize the powerful influences of Matisse and Cezanne and fauvist movement, providing commentary on the ironic and uncertain present. Kenedi shares a vision of images as a continuum that take us from realism to the abstract — both use vibrant color to express their respective visions. He explores the human condition with brain and brush, and courts our independent spirit towards a collective harmony, according to a statement about the show.
His work reflects a collaboration between the abstract and the realistic; he augments his technical skills for realistic depiction with the courage to imbue sharp colors in honest figurative scenes.
"I attribute my breadth of cultural subject matter to my travels and many years of moving to different locales," said Kenedi.
He shares his social and philosophical observations in vibrant oil paintings, through brightly colored windows into human scenarios of love, fear, sorrow, solemnity, contemplation and memory.
In this new show called 'Singing Paintings' Kenedi presents large, oil painted (on linen) images of some of the seminal performers who captured the American mid 20th century musical energy that heavily influenced today's popular music.
These Blues, gospel and early rock artists have provided the creative fuel for Kenedi's art work.
"It wasn't enough to just paint images of these people…I wanted to give the viewer a taste of their music," he said. Each painting is accompanied by a small electronic sound box, that when deployed by the viewer, plays a segment of the of the performers unique work. Kenedi's work is personal vibrant reflection of the many eclectic places and times he's lived in. Kenedi spent his formative years in New York — as an art student in Stony Brook and an urban artist in New York City. He has since lived in Mallorca, Spain, Phoenix, Arizona, Grass Valley and now Southern California. His work can be seen online at http://www.ronkenedi.com.
The Opening Reception will feature guitar virtuoso Jonathan Meredith. The exhibit runs through Aug. 17 at the Center.
For more information, go to http://www.ronkenedi. com.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Sierra Master Chorale and Orchestra spring concerts orchestrated to ‘lift, renew’ spirits
- Sierra Cinemas presents NT Live Edward Albee’s ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?’
- Comedian Kathy Griffin coming to Grass Valley in June
- ’80s stalwarts The Psychedelic Furs coming to Grass Valley in July
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball
- Lawsuit filed against Nevada County alleges wrongful jail death