Artist reception for new encaustic exhibit
April 24, 2014
The artist's reception for local artist Roseanne Burke's new show, "The Cool Girls — Encaustic Portraits of Remarkable Women" is from 4 to 7 p.m. Saturday at Szabo Vineyards Tasting Room in Nevada City.
This exhibition is an exploration of iconic artists through the medium of encaustic, a process of painting with hot wax.
Each painting started with a charcoal sketch and was created by adding layers of wax and incorporating watercolor, oil paint, oil pastels, colored wax, and ephemera into the various layers.
Burke is best known for her oil paintings of Nevada City scenes, so this work represents a real departure for her. "The Cool Girls is the intersection of two events," Burke explained. "In 2013, I took an encaustics workshop at ASiF Studios. I also watched the documentary 'MAKERS — Women Who Make America' about the struggle for women's equality in the United States during the last half of the 20th century.
As a woman who came of age in the 1970s, I was struck by how hard so many women had fought for the rights we now enjoy – and how much we stand to lose if we don't stand up to the current political backlash against women. As an artist, I have an opportunity to initiate a dialogue in a direct but nonconfrontational way — to introduce ideas simply by focusing attention on a subject. I chose to do portraits of 20 women who were inspirational to me as a reminder that women are remarkable, and they certainly are equal."
The show will be at Szabo Vineyards Tasting Room until June 1. Tasting room hours are 2 to 8 p.m. Thursday, noon to 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and Sunday from noon to 6 p.m.
Szabo Vineyards Tasting Room is at 316 Broad Street, Nevada City. Information: For information about the show, email firstname.lastname@example.org; or visit http://www.roseanneburke.com. For information about the tasting room, visit http://www.szabovineyards.com.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- For the love of animals: Find compassion in action at Animal Film Festival
- Commentary: Cars and coffee: a spontaneous showing of cars
- Blues Fusion dance welcomes live music Friday night
- ‘Tiny House, Big Living’ show looking for cast members on HGTV
- 3rd annual Animal Film Festival comes to Grass Valley Saturday
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Nevada County authorities accuse man of possessing meth, police scanner
- Nevada County homicide: Detective says suspect confided about shooting
- Andrew Wilson: Nevada County Board of Supervisors ignores will of voters, shirks responsibility
- Nevada City talks medical marijuana