Artful Women exhibit contemporary works
November 22, 2012
Artful Women: Contemporary Fabric Artists have an exhibit at the Center for the Arts in Grass Valley. The show began Nov. 13 and runs through Dec. 8. The Center is open Mondays through Saturdays, noon to 5 p.m. and located at 314 W. Main St. The show will also be open during Cornish Christmas evenings Nov. 30 and Dec. 7.
The artists are Pam Berry, Joan Dyer, Jo Hathcock, Sandra Poteet, Ann Sanderson, Lin Schiffner and Gail Sims.
"We are seven foothill artists whose medium is fabric and other fibers. The pieces can be single or multiple layered, stitched, painted, dyed, stamped, can be subtle in color or bright. Our subjects are literal or abstract, each an expression of our diverse styles," the artists said. "As a collaborative group, we push ourselves and each other to expand our creative limits, to learn and try new techniques, to increase our art knowledge, and keep our batteries charged. We also enjoy exhibition opportunities for our work.
"Most of what we do will be recognized as Art Quilts, but that term comes with rules around what is truly a 'quilt.' In order to avoid these limits, we use the term fabric art to better enable us to color outside the lines."
"We don't make our art for our livelihood but because we must stretch our creative muscles," they added. "To quote Georgia O'Keefe, 'I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way — things I had no words for.'"
To view some of the Artful Women pieces go to http://www.artful-women.blogspot.com.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Sierra Master Chorale and Orchestra spring concerts orchestrated to ‘lift, renew’ spirits
- Sierra Cinemas presents NT Live Edward Albee’s ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?’
- ’80s stalwarts The Psychedelic Furs coming to Grass Valley in July
- Comedian Kathy Griffin coming to Grass Valley in June
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball