AfroMassive takes stage at Haven Underground
April 18, 2013
Haven Underground will present AfroMassive, the hottest new experimental fury of afrobeat/funk-inspired and electronically fueled grooves this side of the Mississippi, at 9 p.m. Friday. Deeply rooted in funk, '70s soul and jazz while inspired by today's movement toward electronic music, heavy bass and experimental sounds. Combining their knowledge of Afro-Cuban and West African rhythm to put their unique, up-to-date spin on the Afro-Beat music made famous by Fela Kuti, AfroMassive takes a collective approach to music, each of its eight members, including current and former members of Albino and MooGot2, contribute their unique style and musical background. With their full horn section, funky guitars, rippin' bass lines, three drummers, keys and synth, AfroMassive is set to get you dancing!
Later in the evening, Berkley based producer and organic sample master Thrift Works will rein you back into the night with his sultry beat trodden down tempo. Catch him at Haven before he heads out on a national tour with Bassnecter.
Opening the evening is Famly: Julz, aka Julian Fritz, drummer and producer for AfroMassive and Lafa Talyor. Music lovers and concert goers are invited to sign up for Haven Undergrounds newsletter at http://bit.ly/HUsignup for $5 off the door, and a chance to win a free pair of tickets.
Tickets for Friday's show are $15 in advance, $18 at the door. This is a 21 and older concert. Tickets are available at BriarPatch Co-op and online at http://www.havenunderground.org.
Haven Underground is located at 226 Broad St. in Nevada City.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Sierra Master Chorale and Orchestra spring concerts orchestrated to ‘lift, renew’ spirits
- Sierra Cinemas presents NT Live Edward Albee’s ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?’
- ’80s stalwarts The Psychedelic Furs coming to Grass Valley in July
- Comedian Kathy Griffin coming to Grass Valley in June
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later