A citrus twist on blueberry jam
July 29, 2014
Wanting to try something new this year? Why not make some Blueberry Lime jam. I was a little apprehensive to make this, but was told it was amazing. So we decided to make it for our first canning workshop at A to Z Supply.
Once completed, tasters first experience the blueberries and then get a burst of lime next. It has to be the combination of the rind and the juice. As everyone arrived, Lori and I already had the water bath canner going, the lids in bands in another pot simmering and everything else measured out for the project. It was right on with the amount of jars it would fill. We used 4 oz. canning jars for our workshop, so everyone could have one when they went home. We also went over altitude adjustments for our area. Being that the recipe called for 15 minutes of processing, we added the additional 5 minutes based on the altitude of the store at 2,500 foot elevation.
BLUEBERRY LIME JAM
Recipe from the Ball Blue Book of Canning
4 1/2 cups blueberries
1 package powdered pectin
5 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon grated lime peel
1/3 cup lime juice
Crush blueberries one layer at a time. Combine crushed blueberries and powdered pectin in a large sauce pot. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Stir in grated lime peel and lime juice. Return to a rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary. Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yields about 6 half-pints.
I hope you enjoy making this great recipe and have fun with it. It might also be a great addition to a blueberry tart or pie.
April Reese is a certified master food preserver through the University of California at Davis. She has been canning and preserving food for more than 15 years. She can be reached at 530-274-3871 at the A to Z Supply Garden Center or you can email her questions at april@atozsupply. com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Activities and Events
- ’80s stalwarts The Psychedelic Furs coming to Grass Valley in July
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- NCTV Talk: Thru the Lens gala set for Del Oro Theatre
- Summer movies for kids begins June 14 at Del Oro Theatre in Grass Valley
- Bow-Tie Beauties Uncensored: Burlesque show at Miners Foundry
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Crews gain control of Grizzly Fire as dry, hot conditions continue in Nevada County