15th annual Matter of Taste benefits school of the arts
March 7, 2013
Dust off your dancing shoes and save your nickels! It's time again for the 15th annual A Matter of Taste, the wine tasting and silent auction fundraiser for Nevada City School of the Arts. This year's event, Saturday, features wines from local vintners including Besemer, Szabo, Avanguardia and Lucchesi, snacks, sweets and treats from Angelica's Catering, live music provided by Heather Grove and Odile Meister and NCSA alum Taylor Bowen, followed by dancing with D. J. Robin Harp.
Spend the evening at the newly remodeled Miners Foundry Cultural Center in downtown Nevada City, bidding and re-bidding for hundreds of items, including such rarities as a 1972 Gottlieb Flying Carpet pinball machine, lovingly restored and then donated by the school's maintenance man. Or how about a Ukadelic ukelele from Foggy Mountain Music, or a week in Mazatlan or Cape Cod? Art works by Kathryn Wronski, Yvon Dokter, Katie Wolff, Sheila Cameron, Heather deViveiros and more, meals at just about every restaurant in town, cabin stays in Squaw, Donner, Mammoth and Tahoe, tickets to Disneyland, Oregon and Tahoe Shakespeare, Celtic and Bluegrass festivals, flute, violin and guitar lessons, concert and movie tickets and much more. Check out the Facebook pageat http://facebook.com/matteroftaste or visit http://MatterofTasteNC.com for descriptions of all of the items and lots more details.
Celebrating its 20th anniversary next year, NCSA is one of the first public charter schools in the state of California and serves a diverse population of more than 300 local kindergarten through eighth-grade students. Academic instruction is enhanced with foundational and curriculum-based arts instruction, as well as music, dance, theater, film and other electives. Unlike most traditional public schools, NCSA must pay to rent facilities and, thus, relies on fundraisers such as this to provide its highly enriched curriculum.
Doors open at 6 p.m. for wine and food tastings, live music, a no-host bar and hundreds of fine items for silent auction. The live auction and dancing with DJ Robin Harp starts at 9 p.m. Tickets are $20 in advance (http://MatterofTasteNC.com) or $25 at the door.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- 1st ‘City of Light?’
- Best of the Fest: Outdoor screening revisits Nevada City Film Festival winners
- Bierwagen’s annual pumpkin patch brings families back out to the farm
- Denis Peirce: Despite disappointing salmon season, plenty of action on the Feather River
- Sierra Nevada snow causes huge, fatal crash
- UPDATE: I-80 re-opened after multi-vehicle wreck, fatality
- Cause of death confirmed for Bridgeport hiker
- Grass Valley police: Spray painted, stolen vehicle leads to arrest
- Running into trouble: Failed negotiations between canal-side property owner and Banner Mountain group spur lawsuit