A non-traditional bird house creation by Wanda Dunn of Penn Valley took the Best of Show award for the gingerbread house contest held in conjunction with the 2012 Country Christmas Faire held at the Nevada County Fairgrounds November 23 through 25. The gingerbread birdhouse was a traditional shape but was unusual in its use of decoration materials, which included three type of rice, green peas, various seeds and grains, cranberries, popped popcorn, pink peppercorns, and rosemary. “It has a realistic organic look to it and was fun and challenging to create, “ said Dunn. It will be on display at the South Yuba Club in Grass Valley for a week, then at Tess’ Kitchen Store through most of December.
Bird house wins annual gingerbread house contest
Trending in: Entertainment
- Tahoe Donner named senior-friendly ski resort in California by SeniorsSkiing.com
- Lukas Nelson, Promise of the Real play dance concert Wednesday in Grass Valley
- Wild Birds Unlimited hosts 'Owl Be Home for Christmas' benefit
- Ron Cherry: Santa Claus is coming to town for 26th Annual Roamin Angel Toy Drive
- UPDATE: Serious injuries reported in three-car crash on Hwy 20 and Pleasant Valley Rd.
- Patricia Smith: Medical marijuana, to tax or ban?
- Traffic stop ends in arrest on drug charges
- Cornish Christmas: Kicking off the holiday season
- Mobile technology van to bring Wi-Fi, equipment to rural Nevada County