A non-traditional bird house creation by Wanda Dunn of Penn Valley took the Best of Show award for the gingerbread house contest held in conjunction with the 2012 Country Christmas Faire held at the Nevada County Fairgrounds November 23 through 25. The gingerbread birdhouse was a traditional shape but was unusual in its use of decoration materials, which included three type of rice, green peas, various seeds and grains, cranberries, popped popcorn, pink peppercorns, and rosemary. “It has a realistic organic look to it and was fun and challenging to create, “ said Dunn. It will be on display at the South Yuba Club in Grass Valley for a week, then at Tess’ Kitchen Store through most of December.
Bird house wins annual gingerbread house contest
Trending in: Entertainment
- Singer: Where does it grow naturally?
- VIDEO: Michael Franti to perform next month in Grass Valley
- Vet tips: Bored dogs
- Theater fans should ‘run’ to see “Gidion’s Knot”
- Review: The strength is in the flaws
- King Fire up to 76,376 acres; ‘no immediate danger’ to Tahoe-Truckee
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Triathlon cancelled due to poor air quality
- History of talent and innovation in Nevada County: Grass Valley video industry
- Strong arguments floated pro, con on Nevada County’s Measure S
- Air quality downgraded to hazardous